Monday, March 19, 2007

Forcing Forsythia

If you are in a place where it is still cold and gray, and you are wondering if spring is ever going to come, you need to try this. I learned about forcing forsythia some years ago, from an older Polish woman. In the dreadful days of February or March, you can cut a handful of dead-looking forsythia branches and bring them home. (It doesn't matter how closed the buds are.) Put them in a vase of water and be patient for another few days. I cut these on Monday.
By Friday, I had a vase full of sunny yellow blossoms and a room full of spring. Yes! If you've got a forsythia bush nearby, you don't have to wait for the weather to bring it to life. Cut a few branches and help it along.

1 Comments:

At 5:09 PM , Blogger Chris said...

I had a huge forsythia at my old house and I would do that every year. Thanks for posting the pics since I can't have the real thing now!

And thanks for visiting my blog.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home