Saturday, March 15, 2008

Reading Log, February 2008

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen -- A reread, for the umpteenth time, and just as good as ever. I'm not sure anyone stands up to rereading as well as Jane!

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult -- Not a bad story--the kind of book that would make me look for other books by the same author.

Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult -- Well-written, but I did not like the story. Detailed witchcraft makes me uncomfortable (I sent the book halfway around the world via Bookmooch almost as soon as I finished it.), as do stories involving the violation of a children. This is the kind of book that makes me NOT want to seek out other books by the same author. Having reading two books by Jodi Picoult in the same month, it's an even gamble whether I will ever read another.

Last Days by Joel C. Rosenberg -- Sometimes you have books piled up and toppling over in the to-be-read pile, but someone gives you a book, and for no other reason than curiosity, it jumps the line ahead of long-anticipated titles, and gets read first. That's how it came about that I read this book, a sort of Tom Clancy meet Tim LaHaye author. This was all action, something I have little patience with, but it also lent unusual insight into the Israel/Palestine situation, which always intrigues me. The friend who lent me this also lent me another by the same author, but I set that aside for now.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy -- One of the few books I wrote a genuine review for, so I'll let that speak for itself.

The Tale of Beatrix Potter by Margaret Hale -- This was one of my non-fiction books for February. I watched the "Miss Potter" movie, and like everyone else, I wanted to know more. Imagine my amazement at finding this old paperback biography at a used bookstore in Krakow. Both my 14yo daughter and I read this very thorough and interesting account of much more of "Miss Potter's" life than the move could show.

Old Hall, New Hall by Michael Innes -- A well-written mystery, whose ending made me laugh.

Back on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber -- I've seen and heard this author recommended here and there. It was strictly "okay" and not much more. I think I would have liked the book better if it hadn't practically recapped, in a few paragraphs, all the other books the author has written about the characters. I now have no desire to read those other books.

The Cat Who Played Brahms by Lilian Jackson Braun -- (reread) I was just in the mood for some mindless comfort reading, and this is one of my favorites in the series, because it covers part of the transition of the main character from down-and-out reporter to multi-millionaire.

Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell (audiobook) -- Victorian literture rarely disappoints me. This was a great story, and deserved a proper post and review of it's own. I wish I'd written one!

That leaves me with the insane statistic of having read 10 books in February, which is a short month. However, it should be obvious from this list that most of it falls into the category of light reading, and comfort reading. Some months are like that.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home