Wednesday, May 12, 2010

We interrupt this discussion of Norms & Nobility....

...to chortle with glee over my newest acquisition, guaranteed to spend many hours entertaining and educating me.

That would be an Amazon Kindle, an e-reader featuring e-ink, so that reading from it feels mostly like reading from a printed page instead of a back-lit screen. I spent quite a lot of time thinking about this purchase before I spent the money, but so far, I have not the slightest regret. I've already read through one and a half books (more or less), and I have visions of reading many, many more.

I indulged in just one "for purchase" book--the newest title by Andrea Levy, The Long Song--and downloaded all six volumes by Charlotte Mason, the Bible, The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton, and Sartor Resartus by Thomas Carlyle, as well as numerous free chapters from books I might want to buy in the future....

This lovely gadget also holds PDF versions of my crochet patterns, which makes me want ALL my patterns to be PDF files, so I can have them at my fingertips.

I'm totally enamored of my new device, and look forward to many, many hours of happy reading. It can hold up to 1500 titles, although the thought of such a library in my purse makes me slightly delerious. It's even nicer in this leaf-green cover, which protects it and makes it feel more like a book while holding and reading.

It won't make me a better or more frequent blogger, I am sure, but it did at least merit this one post.

5 Comments:

At 2:19 AM , Blogger Dana in Georgia said...

I feel your happiness

;-)
Dana in GA

 
At 3:26 AM , Blogger Jami M. said...

I love my Kindle too!

Jami

 
At 6:25 PM , Blogger Sycorax Pine said...

I have been coveting a ebook reader, but I think I too would use it mostly for free (public domain) downloads - something really irks me about paying nearly full price for a "book" I can't put on my shelf, loan to friends, or own in any old-fashioned sense. I guess this is the first sign of the onset of fuddy-duddishness.

 
At 12:03 AM , Blogger Judy said...

Lucky you! It sounds like you're really enjoying the Kindle.
That's on my wish list - but I still have a sizeable TBR pile of "real" books to get through first..LOL!

 
At 1:15 AM , Blogger Library Cat said...

I do wish you were still blogging. I wonder what type of Kindle you purchased?? My library has the Kindle 2 for loan and my daughter and I like it quite well. But I know the DX is bigger...but maybe not worth the extra money?? Anyway, I am from Florida and have visited Central Europe once and love to crochet! So, I hope that you will check out my blog and maybe start blogging again??

LibrarysCat Book List

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home