Friday, January 13, 2012

More Books for 2012

I enjoy crocheting...with thread. Tiny hooks and size 30 thread make me happy. Sometimes I use sewing thread (the color selection is wonderful). Everything I make is essentially useless, but I like to think I'm adding something beautiful to the world when I do it. But my real reason for crocheting is that I find it relaxing--nothing so peaceful and mesmerizing as making round upon round of perfect stitches and seeing a lovely pattern emerge. Love it.

But although I like to thus occupy my hands, the pleasure is increased many-fold if I have a good book to listen to while I work. Librivox is one of the nicest things that ever happened to me. I really love them, and I hope, someday, I'll have time and resources to record something for them, as a small repayment for the many, many hours of enjoyment I've had from them.



I have a number of interesting books on my "to listen" list for the upcoming year. I might have another go with Eleanor Porter and listen to The Road to Understanding. I'm interested in continuing my acquaintance with Edith Wharton, and I have my eye on The Bunner Sisters. Or perhaps The Glimpses of the Moon.



The Return of Alfred by Cecil George Jenkins sounds like it might be fun. It's a case of mistaken identity, and that's usually fertile ground for good comedy. I'll probably choose another Wilkie Collins, either Basil or The Law and The Lady. If I listen to both, that would be nearly 24 hours of crochet time!



I really like good stories for my crochet-reading. I can't follow non-fiction or arguments or essays, but engrossing stories are what I usually choose. I probably "read" books this way that I would otherwise never get to in the ordinary course of reading. Along those lines, I've also bookmarked Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell and Shirley by Charlotte Bronte.




Sometimes I like to listen to vintage mysteries or humor, and I've marked The Confession by Mary Roberts Rinehart and The Coming of Bill by P.G. Wodehouse. Sometimes I really just want something light for this book-listening, so if you have suggestions for this category, toss them my way.



I have a couple of other authors I might try this year, if I'm feeling ambitious. I've got my eye on In the Year of Jubilee by George Gissing and The Grey Mills of Farley by Sarah Orne Jewett.

The photos I've shared here are just a small part of my crocheting from last year. Books and thread...it doesn't get much better than that. Anyone else listen to a great Librivox title? Share it with me...I'll queue it up!

2 Comments:

At 12:49 AM , Blogger Danielle said...

I loved Law and the Lady--it would be fun to listen to. I read Shirley a few years back but didn't get on with it quite as well as I had hoped-it was well written but felt uneven. I feel like I need to give it another chance--it may have been the timing. I read Gaskell's North and South last year that has a similar theme, so I am curious now to see how they compare. Lovely crochet by the way! I tried to learn, but am too clumsy!

 
At 4:06 PM , Blogger hopeinbrazil said...

An intriguing list! I've never read any of these. The funniest audiobook I "read" last year was Austen's Northanger Abbey. Never dreamed it would be so amusing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home