Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Not about Poland this time

Okay, this is my first blog post that isn't about Poland, but about something else that I find interesting.

Before I launch into this story, it might be good to preface the whole thing by saying that I have, for years, been a crocheter of lace. I love to crochet with thread, and have made countless mats, doilies, ornaments, bookmarks, and whatever else you can make with thread. Most of the things I have made are scattered across the United States, since I travel a lot when I'm in the US, and I give away nearly everything I make.

On Saturday, December 10th, the whole family visited a historical community, where they were celebrating Christmas 1905. There were plenty of interesting activities and things to see, but the best part (according to me) were those who were demonstrating their crafts, all dressed in period costumes. I was especially fascinated by the tatters. I watched them for quite a while, and examined the things they had made. I was completely overcome with a single-minded thought: I have to learn to do this!

The ladies were kind enough to put me in touch with someone local who could sell me the supplies, and I gave her a call on the following Monday. I went right over to her place, and she was also kind--giving me a half-hour lesson for free. I bought a book, two colors of thread, and a shuttle, and went home more determined than ever to pursue something new.




Tatting is much slower than crocheting, and the work is completely different, so my fingers felt clumsy, but by Friday--less than a week from my original determination--I had finished my first actual project.








I had a bit of trouble learning to keep my tension even, but I think it's all figured out now, and I was able to complete my second project in a much shorter amount of time.



This is a wonderful new craft, and I'm happily visiting tatting sites all over the web, and thinking about the kind of projects I'd like to make...someday. My sense of satisfaction at learning a new skill is the best part--a Christmas present to myself.

And incidentally, I'm trying to learn how to put pictures on my blog, and it is much, much harder than tatting.

4 Comments:

At 10:45 PM , Blogger Mama Squirrel said...

Lovely! I am strictly a yarn crocheter.

 
At 11:20 PM , Blogger Leslie Noelani Laurio said...

That's beautiful! I love the wreath, what a pretty ornament!

 
At 2:16 AM , Blogger Mrs. Happy Housewife said...

These are both lovely. This post make me interested in learning tatting.

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger Grace for the day said...

Have you been to the kantwerk (lace making) museum in Brugges, Belgium? It is fascinating to watch how fast those experienced ladies weave their bobbins - wow what a wonderful handwork craft! You have some lovely work with this tatting! I will just sit back and admire! (BTW) When I get our blog up and going this month, I will add our field trip pictures of Brugge!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home