Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Save me a piece of pie

Four American families celebrating an American holiday in a foreign country--that's what's on the agenda for tomorrow. Unfortunately for me, the best laid plans, etc, etc, etc...do not always work out. K. abruptly and inexplicably came down with something today. When a nine year old announces at 2:30 in the afternoon that she doesn't feel well and wants to go to bed, you know you are in trouble. When she sleeps for several hours and wakes up with a cough and a fever, you are not surprised, only disappointed.

Unless a miraculous recovery occurs between now and tomorrow morning, I suspect she and I will have to stay home. I've made my contributions to the meal today by baking apple pies and a fabulous southern sweet-potato casserole (with walnuts instead of pecans!). I also made cinnamon rolls for our traditional Thanksgiving breakfast, and I'll be doing a turkey. I'll still get to eat lots of fabulous food, but I'll miss the company. Kind of a reminder that "in everything give thanks" means sometimes we have to be thankful for things that aren't "good" by any usual method of defining the word.

Still lots to be thankful for!

4 Comments:

At 8:40 PM , Blogger lindafay said...

I am very sorry to hear that. I will pray along with you for her quick recovery.

We are also planning to meet with one other American family tomorrow. Our neighbors are oblivious to the holiday. We finally found a turkey today at the last minute, but it is in pieces. We will also be substituting walnuts for pecans. :)

praying,
linda

 
At 5:29 AM , Blogger Katie said...

Well, I'm sorry to hear that K. is sick. I hope you can take comfort in some good reading time to go along with your good food tomorrow while K. sleeps.

I wish you could come eat with us~

 
At 2:32 PM , Blogger Mama Squirrel said...

Thinking of you all, and hoping K. feels better soon--from all of us here.

 
At 7:46 PM , Blogger Donna-Jean Breckenridge said...

Thinking of you today - and wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving! Praying that K feels better soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home