Friday, February 16, 2007

Bits and Pieces

I wrote a long, careful post about about a book I finished, and blogger made it disappear. That was two days ago, and I haven't had the time or inclination to blog much since. Now I feel like I'm playing catch up.

Family--I'm potty-training a reluctant two-year-old. She's going to be three soon, and the though of a three-year-old in diapers is harrowing to my soul. I'm never in a hurry to potty-train my little ones, and I have less patience than ever about the process at my "advanced" age. I am daily reminded of why I am never in a hurry to do this. It would be like excitedly marking off the days until your root canal. Said two-year-old is also finally beginning to speak. I think the latest remarks added to her repertoire are "I don't know" (ah-no-no) and "Let go!" (letTOE). I used to speak fluent two-year-old, but I'm really rusty.

Ministry--I'm hosting a ladies' tea in my home next Friday, during which I will be giving a short devotional in Polish. We've invited some new people, so hopefully we'll have a nice group.

Minor Annoyances--My books keep disappearing. Every day for the past week, I have been asking, "Have you seen W pustyni i w puszczy?" or "Have you seen The Diary of a Nobody?" I even lost Dawn to Decadence one day, and that book is huge. I found my Polish book under the couch, and later, I found the Diary behind the Polish book on the shelf.

Small Blessings--My husband took me out to a Chinese restaurant for Valentine's Day. Afterward, we were browsing, and I found this fantastic collection of movies based on Jane Austen's novels. Being the confirmed Austen fan that I am, I was thrilled to purchase these DVD's. I have a few homemade videos (taped from BBC, actually), but I've always wanted to have them in a nicer form. Plus, this is a version of Sense and Sensibility that I haven't seen. Fun, fun. Those Polish covers are irrelevant--the movies have their original English soundtracks. What a great find!


Books and Reading--I am loving all my reading right now, but I'll save most of it for individual posts. In spite of being a short month, I have a feelingI may end up with more books read in February than any other month of the year. (I can't imagine keeping up this pace.)

See ya later!

1 Comments:

At 9:49 PM , Blogger Karen S. said...

I was very frustrated as well with potty training. When I was researching potty training a common theme seemed to be praise and positive reinforcement. I came across a website called www.pottytrainingrewards.com. We hung it in the kitchen and named the little boy on the front of the package, Bobby. My son could not wait to go to the potty so he could push the button, hear the praising message, and get his chocolate reward from, Bobby. It really got my son excited about using the potty himself and it was fun for him. Because he became so involved, potty training was easy. So give it a try.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home