Wednesday, February 07, 2007

This saves time

I was planning to link to this article, and share my thoughts about reading slowly and thoughtfully. However, the Deputy Headmistress did such a terrific job of doing that very thing, I'll just send you over there. It's definitely worth a read, and I was going to make the same connection to Charlotte Mason that she did.

Instead, I will simply leave you with this bit of trivia. Did you know that Jacques Barzun would have been about 16 years old when Charlotte Mason died?

And here's my favorite quote from the article, by Lindsay Waters:

The role of literature is to mess with time, to establish its own time, its own rhythm. A new agenda for literary studies should open up the time of reading, just as it opens up how the writer establishes his or her rhythm. Instead of rushing by works so fast that we don't even muss up our hair, we should tarry, attend to the sensuousness of reading, allow ourselves to enter the experience of words.

Most definitely.

1 Comments:

At 12:37 AM , Blogger Mama Squirrel said...

Grin...that makes me feel better about not getting those Book Stack Challenge books read. I can just say I'm reading them SLOWWWWLY.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home