Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Who would have thought?

Last term, as part of her homeschool work, I assigned Beowulf to 13yo E. She listened to it on Librivox, and became quite enamored of Librivox itself. On her own, she listened to Jane Austen's Emma and Gene Stratton-Porter's Girl of the Limberlost.

Not long ago, she came into the room while I was listening to a chapter of Whose Body? by Dorothy Sayers, and exclaimed enthusiastically, "That's Kara Schallenburg! She must really like to read for Librivox!" She had recognized the reader's voice, and I realized that she was right, and I had heard the same reader on two or three books myself.

I tend to take all of this enthusiasm in stride, but E. really caught me off guard today when she bounded down the steps, exulting, "They have Thomas More's Utopia on Librivox!"

If you aren't familiar with the free audiobooks at Librivox, you should take a look. I am beginning to think I ought to volunteer to read a chapter or send them some money or something. I've listened to at least five books in full, and E. obviously has no plans to reduce her Librivox usage. I wish the good folks who donated their time to read Utopia (I wonder if it was Kara Schallenburg again?) could have seen her.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:00 AM , Blogger Kara Shallenberg said...

That's so nice to hear! LibriVox doesn't accept donations (we work on an entirely volunteer basis -- even our web-hosting is donated) but we would love to have you or your daughter read for us! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home