Thursday, January 01, 2009

My Worthwhile Reading Challenge

What's this? A third post within a week? I hope no one experiences undue shock.

However, this is 2009. A new year, a clean slate, fresh beginnings...time to recover from the undeniable fact that I read 92 books (actually 93--I found one I'd forgotten to put on the list...) and reflect on a few things.

I steadfastly refused to make reading plans for myself in 2008 (except that I said, in a general sort of way, that I wanted to read 2 non-fiction books each month, and I read 9 total for the year). I would not be tempted into joining challenges. I would simply read "as the spirit moves" me, so to speak. Well, that will not do. I need some relaxing, fun reading material, and I don't intend to plan that, but if I don't plan my serious reading better, it apparently isn't going to happen.

So, I found this challenge at The Common Room, and decided that was about right for me. Almost. I was only able to choose 10 worthwhile books. If I manage to finish these, I'll find another two.

I'm not going to list my plan month by month. I will have to tackle these somewhat simultaneously. Any encouragement, cheering, gentle nudges, polite inquiries, or tart reminders will be welcome to help me stay the course.

Ten Worthwhile Books I Plan to Read in 2009

(If December arrives, and I have finished none of these, I shall surreptitiously delete this post.)

1. Dawn to Decadence by Jacques Barzun

2. Education in Antiquity by H.I. Marrou

3 The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius

4. The Pleasures of Philosophy by Charles Frankel

5. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

6. Paradise Lost by John Milton

7. The Ascent of Man by J. Bronowski

8. Thinking Youth's Greatest Need by Dan Gilbert

9. Clive Staples Lewis by William Griffin

10. Szatan z Siodmej Klasy by Kornel Makuszynski

I've had all of these books on my shelves for one year or longer. It's high time I read them all the way through, I think. The last book on the list is young adult fiction, and the title means something like "The Satan in Seventh Grade." However, it did come highly recommended to me as a "living book" and I do plan to read it in Polish (that's what makes it worthwhile).

Wish me luck--join the fun.

3 Comments:

At 12:27 AM , Blogger Danielle said...

Good luck with your reading list. I read Les Mis last year--it took me the better part of the summer and into the fall, and well, part of the spring, too, but I managed it! :)

 
At 3:39 AM , Blogger Headmistress, zookeeper said...

Impressive. I look forward to reading what you hae to say about your reading!

 
At 1:51 AM , Blogger madonnaearth said...

I almost succumbed to Les Miserables myself, but then I thought about how I'd checked out 10 books from the library the last time and only scanned two of them. I loved the movie, House of Mirth. I may read the novel someday.

Have you read The Magnificent Ambersons? I started it (it was in the pile of 10 from last time). I got about 50 pages in and was waiting for the ax to fall.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home