Friday, February 20, 2009

Crow Lake by Mary Lawson


Now, this was something like!

I've had a run of bad luck with books lately. I've read a lot of second-rate or even revolting books, and there has been such a run of them that I was beginning to get desperate for something really excellent.

And this was it!

This book has all the elements that particularly draw me into a story--excellent characters, a non-linear timeline (the narrator in the present is telling a story that happened in the past, but there is current action as well). As with many of the books that I like, the basic plot could be summarized in two or three sentences. There is a plot, of course, but this is a character-driven story.

The prologue begins
My great-grandmother Morrison fixed a book rest to her spinning wheel so that she could read while she was spinning, or the story goes. And one Saturday evening she became so absorbed in her book that when she looked up, she found that it was half past midnight and she had spun for half an hour on the Sabbath day. Back then, that counted as a major sin.

Great-grandmother Morrison has long since passed away, but her intense passion for knowledge and education is still affecting her descendants. Katie and her brother Matt lay on their stomachs for hours, gazing into the pond, watching the tadpoles, water-bugs, turtles, and other pond life. They dream of studying and learning. Matt has the deep sense of wonder that gives life to such studies, and Katie absorbs his interests and passions, never guessing that they will eventually cause a gulf between her and her brother.

I just loved this story, full of imperfect people making mistakes, taking on life as it comes, making the best of bad situations, keeping promises, and taking care of each other the best that they can.

This was Mary Lawson's first book, published in 2002. I'll definitely be keeping my eyes open for other books she's written.

3 Comments:

At 10:49 AM , Blogger hopeinbrazil said...

Interesting post. I'm glad you found something good to read after so many disappointments.

 
At 4:53 AM , Blogger DebD said...

I read a string of forgettable books earlier in the year. It is so refreshing to come up on a keeper. Thanks for the review, I think I'll be adding this to my TBR list.

Deb
(coming over from Farm Lane books since we both were tagged by her)

 
At 6:43 AM , Blogger Poiema said...

Glad you suggested this one! But maybe I should blame you for my tiredness today~ I couldn't put it down until I finished @ 3:30 a.m. It's been a while since I have done that but I'd have to say Crow Lake was worth it. I'm finding myself mulling it over in my mind. Especially interesting to me is the way that family members "harden" their perceptions of one another. They forget that their siblings have added layers and dimensions to their personalities on beyond those we shared with them in the foundational stages of their lives. At some point it can only be healthy to shatter the old lens and take a fresh look at siblings as they are in the present.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home