Monday, February 27, 2006

Home at last, home at last!

Yes, it's official! I have arrived in Poland, and now I can blog about what I really wanted to blog about all along--living in Poland.

Krakovian is SO good...he had the internet up and running the exact same day we arrived in Poland. Isn't he remarkable? I believe dependence upon any other substance would be considered addiction, but addiction to the internet? Naah...not possible. I'd worry about him if it weren't so convenient for me.

We had the most horrendous snafu at the airport. It's beyond anything I could have imagined, because I have done this before, and I can imagine a lot of things that can go wrong. I made very, very sure none of the things I imagined would happen...but I didn't imagine this! It really was one of those "traveler's worst nightmare" kind of scenarios, and since the whole thing happened when we arrived at the airport in the first place, it tainted the entire trip.

I don't mind (much) schlepping through the airport with four kids, a stroller, and too-much carry-on luggage. (Our "carry on" luggage required two carts to navigate through the airport!) I don't mind (much) trying to sleep in an airplane seat and eating airline food. I don't mind (much) sitting around bored to tears waiting for the next flight. I can stand a lot...but this little glitch sort of through me over the edge.

Picture me leaning my head against my stacked-three-high trunks and praying, "Thank you, Lord, that you are in control of everything and not THESE PEOPLE." Picture me making phone calls from the airport on the cell phone, and arguing (fruitlessly) with the airline agent. Picture my kids sitting on the floor, getting a little frantic because they don't understand what's going on. That's kind of the tip of the iceberg, but I'm just not up to sharing all the details. It was too awful. It has taken me literally days to get over being sick about the whole thing--you know--the sick-in-the-pit-of-your-stomach feeling that you get when something is very wrong. The one there is no medicine to treat--except the aforementioned prayer.

It was a tough thing to get through, but Praise the Lord, we did. And we are in Poland.

Which is exactly where I want to be.

3 Comments:

At 11:52 PM , Blogger Mama Squirrel said...

So glad to hear you're back in spite of everything. My Squirrelings (even Crayons) can quickly point out Poland on a map now!

(And now you can read all your Christmas books without feeling guilty.)

 
At 3:30 PM , Blogger Kathryn said...

Blogged over via the homesquirrelers....my cousin and her husband are missionaries in Minsk Mazowiecki, so I was interested in your blog. She's at mybubblingteapot.blogspot.com. I'm sure she can relate to your travel experiences. God bless you!

 
At 11:29 PM , Blogger Amy Witt said...

Welcome Home. Now you have peaked our interest, maybe in 6 months when the shock has worn off you can share your ordeal. Praise God who is always faithful you are home safe.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home