Thursday, August 31, 2006

Books read in August

At least one month out of every year, reading gets pushed aside in the general busyness of life. I'm always reading bits and pieces of things, but whole novels consume too much time and attention, and before I know it, a month has passed and I have not read a book! August was such a month. I have read from several books, but I have not read one book properly through from cover to cover. But here's a sample of what I picked up during the month!

W pustyni i w puszczy by Henryk Sienkiewicz--My Polish book, of which I probably read not more than one chapter.

School Education by Charlotte Mason--I'm going to be doing a study on this soon, and I spent a good bit of time with it, but did not read the whole thing.

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy--this is the biggest thing I'm working on right now, with still something like 500 pages to get through. I thought I'd finish it in August, but I just didn't spend enough time on it.

The Bible and task of teaching--just a few chapters, as I'm rereading it slowly.

Dr. George Washington Carver, Scientist by Shirley Graham and George D. Lipscomb--I didn't finish the whole book, but this is a reread of the best biography of Carver I've ever read. I love this book and it really does Carver justice. It was published the year after his death, and includes the text of telegrams sent to Tuskegee by President Roosevelt and Vice-President Wallace on the occasion of his death. If you want a biography of Carver, read this one. When I finish, I'll do a more complete overview!

"The Sins of Prince Saradine" by G.K. Chesterton--one of the Father Brown stories from my Father Brown Omnibus. (There are five books of stories, and I'm not finished with the first one yet.)

I might have done bits of reading from other books, but this is all I can remember. It's a pretty meager list if you compare it with the past few months, but that's okay. I'm not racing anyone.

We're gearing up to start homeschool next week, and cooler weather is setting in already. Time to read!

1 Comments:

At 12:06 AM , Blogger Mama Squirrel said...

Ooh! Ooh! We found the same bio of George Washington Carver earlier this year, at one sale or other, can't remember where. I'm glad to hear it's a good one!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home