Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The work of her hands...

I've aways enjoyed making things. In different seasons, different types of crafts have caught my attention, but the one thing I always come back to, in one form or another, is thread. I love that stuff.
While I was crocheting bookmarks, I was also seized with an urge to tat, and in keeping with my theme, I tatted this bookmark with size 10 variegated green thread. The pattern includes a tag and tail, but with size 10 thread, it was big enough this way.
I also bought a lot of inexpensive colored threads recently, thinking they might be good for tatting. They aren't--they are much too fuzzy--but they are fine for crocheting. I played around with color schemes, and finally made this mat in autumn colors. I've been pretty traditional with my crocheted lace, nearly always using white or ecru thread (recent bookmarks notwithstanding), so this was a complete departure from my norm. I have to say, I'm very, very pleased with the results, and I suspect color will be creeping into future projects as well.
All of the paraphenalia associated with these projects is messy and cluttered. No matter how hard you try, it's difficult to keep an assortment of threads, shuttles, crochet hooks, and spare bobbins neat. Not long ago, I found these cute little leather boxes in an Indian shop. These shops, which sell clothes jewelry, knick-knacks, scarves, and purses from India are quite popular. These inexpensive little cases are intended to hold lipsticks. I had a better idea.
Tatting shuttles and bobbins fit into the cases quite nicely. They are protected from damage, and also from tangled-thread syndrome. I can toss the cases into my workbag, too, and find them more easily this way.



I've got several Christmas presents underway at the moment, which I'll probably share later. I'm trying to encourage my girls to keep busy with their crafts as well. E. prefers drawing to everything else, and we've discussed ways she could use that to make gifts. K. has recently developed an interest in beading and macrame. We always have more ideas than we have time to execute. Doesn't everyone?

2 Comments:

At 4:29 PM , Blogger Mama Squirrel said...

The mat is lovely! It should look great with all your pottery and wood. Reminds me of the maple leaves that are flying to the ground here this week.

 
At 4:11 PM , Blogger Gail said...

One of the things that I regret is that I never learned to tat from my mother. She took up tatting after I was married and quickly lost her ability to do so when her Alzheimer's became obvious. I do have some lovely things that she tatted for me and for each of the girls at the time of their birth. I wish I could easily learn how to do this myself. It is something of a lost art, it seems. God bless!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home