Saturday, December 29, 2007

Reading Log, Overview 2007

I may get another book (or even two) finished before the year is complete, but if I do, I will simply edit this post. As it stands now, I completed 58 book in 2007, which I have listed here in roughly chronological order. Of the 58, only 10 were non-fiction, and of those 10, nine of them were at least partially biographical in nature. However, I also have three books on my "still in progress" list that are non-fiction, and two of them are not biographical--one is a series of essays, and the other is Dawn to Decadence, which is hard to classify but might be called cultural history.

In addition to my 58 completed books, I have 4 books in progress, and I partially read, then abandoned (for various reasons), 7 books.

So, here are the lists!

Books completed in 2007:

The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
Bee Season by Myla Goldberg
The Cat Who Came to Breakfast by Lilian Jackson Braun
Dracula by Bram Stoker
Children of the New Forest by Captain Marryat
Lily's Crossing by Patricia Reilly Giff
The Secret by Eva Hoffman
Lost in Translation by Eva Hoffman
Diary of a Nobody by George & Weedon Grossmith
Turnabout Children by Mary McCracken
Death at the Dolphin by Ngaio Marsh
Night by Elie Wiesel
The Time of Green Ginger by Armstrong King
Digging to America by Anne Tyler
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell
Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons
The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler
Lady Susan by Jane Austen
Whose Body? by Dorothy Sayers
War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
Mystery Mile by Margery Allingham
The Charmers by Stella Gibbons
Thirteen Steps Down by Ruth Rendell
The Approaching Storm by Nora Waln
Christmas at Candleshoe by Michael Innes
For the Sake of Elena by Elizabeth George
Sala's Gift by Ann Kirschner
Many Thing You No Understand by Adaora Lily Ulasi
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
The Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Ford
Ladder of Years by Anne Tyler
Remembering by Wendell Berry
Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Elena: Strengthened Through Trials by Harvey Yoder
The Beginning by Chaim Potok
Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai Sijie
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
What Came Before He Shot Her by Elizabeth George
A Woman in Berlin (Anonymous)
Teacher Man by Frank McCourt
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
Villette by Charlotte Bronte
Bryson City Tales by Walt Larimore
The Getting of Wisdom by Henry Handel Richardson
The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rineheart
My Man Jeeves by P. G. Wodehouse
What Katy Did at School by Susan Coolidge
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
Skipping Christmas by John Grisham
Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
The Parting by Beverly Lewis
Playing for Pizza by John Grisham
The Literary Discipline by John Erskine

Books in progress:

From Dawn to Decadence by Jacques Barzun
Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
The Magic Feather by Lori and Bill Granger
Year In, Year Out by A.A. Milne

Books abandoned in 2007:

W Pustyni i w Puszczy by Henryk Sienkiewicz
The History of Henry Esmond by William Makepeace Thackeray
Sklepy Cynamonowe by Bruno Schulz
Don Quixote by Miguel Cervantes
Candide by Voltaire
The Mother by Pearl Buck
Psychological thriller whose title I forgot

I have already shared both my favorite books from 2007 and my not-so-favorite, but here are some additional random statistics. These numbers are only taken from my list of completed books and don't include the in-progress or partially-read titles.

Fiction: 48
Non-fiction: 10 (of which 9 are mostly biographical)
Audiobooks: 8
Rereads: 7
Classics: 6 (unless Dracula counts as a classic, and then it is 7)
Books classified as children's or young adult literature: 3
Mystery/Crime novels: 9
Horror: 1 (Dracula again)
Fantasy: 2 (Tolkien, in both cases)
Books in translation: 3
Male Authors: 24
Female Authors: 34

I shall look forward to seeing the way other people organize and classify their end-of-year reading lists! I have no definite plans for what I'll be reading next year--I prefer to follow my inclinations of the moment, and I have a number of things in mind right now--more than I can realistically manage, probably.

Happy reading in 2008!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 6:23 AM , Blogger The Correspondent said...

I always enjoy your book lists and reviews, and I put a link to this post on my blog.

The Correspondent

 
At 2:24 AM , Blogger Promise Christian Academy said...

I just noticed your profile! I am so excited that you are in Poland! We had a dear young girl stay with us last year as an exchange student from Lotz her name is Magda Nowak. We learned a lot about Poland and are looking forward to her return visit and possibly a trip to Poland ourselves one day! I will come back to 'visit' your blog...
Hilda Rebecca

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home