Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Dusting out the cobwebs

I'm a half-hearted blogger at best. I like the idea of blogging more than the actual work of sitting down and writing thoughtful posts every day. Or every week. Or every month, apparently, since my last post was in February. In my last post I was lamenting the cold, the snow, and the dark, short days. Now I'm sitting here with the outside breeze wafting through the open door, the ceiling fan whirring, and sunshine spilling through the window. It will be light past 9:00 pm, and I'll forget to send the kids to bed at anything like a reasonable hour.

Part of my absence from blogdom this time is connected with my absence from home. I spent nearly two months in the United States, and just returned home a couple of days ago, with a "books I've read" list as long as my arm.

I nearly dumped the total list into a reading log for March, April, and May combined, but decided that was ridiculous. Even if anyone cares what I've been reading, they aren't going to slog though a list like that.

The thing about the United States? It's full of books. Book in English. Books at thrift stores. Books at rummage sales, garage sales, and libraries. Books in homes and books in stores. They were unavoidable, and I seemed to have a lot of reading time on my hands.

To say that I indulged in a form of book gluttony rarely encountered would be only to state the inevitable, I think.

Without taking the time to blog, or journal, or contemplate, or even think, much, I simply basked in the opportunity to read pretty much as much as I wanted to. (Did you know that there are places in the US where you can find books for 29 cents? I hope those of you who live there appreciate that fact.) My indulgence took many forms, and if some of the titles on my lists cause anyone to shake a head or laugh out loud, so be it.

Coming soon: Reading Logs for March, April, and May...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home