Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Books read in March

I forgot to keep a nice list of the books I read in March. Every year I mean to do this--keep track of what I read--and every year, I lose track along about this time. So, this is a list of some of the things I read in March.

_Girl of the Limberlost_ by Gene Stratton Porter (A reread. I haven't read Gene Stratton Porter for a few years, and I don't seem to love her as much as I used to. Rats.)

_An Acceptable Time_ by Madeleine L'Engle. (I just happened to find this book not long ago. I didn't know there were any new companion books to the "Wrinkle in Time" series.)

_A Biblical Psychology of Learning_ by Ruth Beechick (reread, only read about 1/3 of the book in March)

Ezekiel (I haven't read this in a long time. It's interesting to come back to a book of the Bible after several years, because it is all new.)

Parts of Charlotte Mason's homeschooling series--volume 3, volume 5, and a little bit from volume 6. (I'm always dipping into these--they would show up on most of my month's reading lists.)

"All About Houseplants" by no particular author and "Can't Miss Houseplants" by Gary Antosh. ( I need some green things in the house again after a year of traveling.)

_Saving Fish From Drowning_, by Amy Tan. (I've only read a few chapters so far. I like Amy Tan, but I lost the book for a while and haven't gotten back to it.)

_Mr. Darcy's Daughters_ by Elizabeth Aston. (Spin-offs from Jane Austen seem to be emerging as a new genre. My kids would call it "fan fic." I confess, I read them all. This is probably the best one I've read so far. It doesn't re-write the Pride and Prejudice story line, but it is somewhat faithful to the era it portrays. Modern authors can't seem to help introducing modern problems into their stories, and while I admit that the Victorians definitely had moral problems, they tended to treat such things far more circumspectly in their literature. Suffice it to say that when the next book comes out in Elizabeth Aston's series...I will read it. But don't read too much into that.)

_Anielka_ by Boleslaw Prus. (Only one chapter so far, but it is in Polish.)

I also read bits from _Poetic Knowledge_ by James Taylor _Quintilian on Education_, and started _The Consolation of Philosophy_ by Boethius, but didn't spent much time on them. I'm sure I read a few other things, but that's all I can remember at the moment. I'm also reading aloud from _This Country of Ours_ by H.E. Marshall, _Water Babies_, by Charles Kingsley, and _Hurry, Spring_ by Sterling North.

Maybe I'll try to keep better records for April's reading. I never plan my reading, but...I will try to finish _Saving Fish From Drowning_ in April, and get in another chapter or two of the Prus.

Oh, and I just remembered one more book..._Norms & Nobility_, by David Hicks. (Another reread, and so I only read parts of it, and now *that* book is lost. Why do books disappear around here?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home