Friday, July 28, 2006

Another Event

We had our second Ladies' Tea this evening, held this time at my colleague's home instead of mine. This was a Good Thing, considering our recent kitchen project (which left the dining room a mess, though I haven't mentioned it) and the fact that we spent several days this week away from home.

I'm happy to report that this Event was just as successful as the last one. We had seven Polish ladies instead of six with us, except that there were actually three new ladies and two who could not be there because they are out of the country. (Lots of folks on vacation this time of year.)


Our theme this time was "Fruit of the Spirit," and our invitations had a pretty fruit still-life on the front. We served fruit salad in a melon basket, strawberry tarts, lemon squares, and banana bread, and decorated with fruity napkins and lemon-shaped candles. It was very lovely and elegant, and the Polish ladies continue to be impressed that my colleague and I make and prepare all this ourselves.

We served cold drinks as well as hot tea, but with the weather we've been having (above 90 degrees nearly every day for the past month), no one chose hot tea. (We figured we could make iced tea out of the neglected tea.) I even saw one lady putting ice cubes into her drink, and that is practically unheard of. If you order drinks at a restaurant, they come without ice unless you ask, and then they only put one little cube in your glass. Most people consider room-temperature beverages to be "cold" because they are not "hot." (I remain unconvinced.)

But I digress--my point is that no one is going to have to wash tea cups, because everyone drank mineral water or juice.

All of the ladies had not met each other before, and we were so pleased that everyone chatted and visited like old friends. I had a short devotional based on Galatians 5:22-23 and Psalm 1, and two people actually told me they found it helpful. I'm pleased if anyone finds it understandable. My colleague had made everyone a little jar of apple jelly to take home, impressing them even further with our talents.

We are so pleased that these Events are something the Polish ladies enjoy and look forward to. We plan to continue hosting them every other month for now, and we already have ideas in the works for the next two "Teas." They are a lot of work, but so, so worth it.

1 Comments:

At 12:11 AM , Blogger Mama Squirrel said...

It sounds just lovely! I'd love to do something like that here at home.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home