Thursday, August 10, 2006

No matter where you live...

A few weeks ago, I went to a hair salon for the usual reasons women go to such places, and as is often the case (no matter where you live!), I had to wait for a while before my turn. I amused myself in the traditional manner--by picking up a magazine and flipping through it.

Naturally, all the magazines were in Polish, but this was about the same time that my Polish reading was improving thanks to Anielka, and I was able to read about half an article. That in itself is worth noting to me, as I previously struggled through a paragraph here and there before reaching mental exhaustion.

What is actually interesting this time is the content of the article. It was about a young Polish couple with two children. The family lives in the Warsaw area in a rather small flat (40 meters square). He works. They give the children baths, go for walks, and decorate their flat. There is nothing exceptional about their family except for one thing--about 2,000 people per week "watch" everything their family does, because they write a blog.

Both husband and wife began writing the blog as a journal for themselves, and have done nothing special to attract their hundreds of readers. Somehow, their reflections on family life and the changes that children have brought about in their perspective (both children are very young, under three years old) are very compelling. The blog became so popular and so well-known that the couple agreed to be interviewed and photographed for the article I was reading, in which they revealed their real names.

It was fascinating to me that this very family-oriented blog won the 2005 "Blog of the Year" award, as you can see on their website if you visit them.

Blogging is a Big Deal--no matter where you live.

1 Comments:

At 4:45 AM , Blogger Katie said...

I am so impressed that you can read Polish. I went to the blog and it does not look like anything I would ever be able to read. Wow!

(We used to have a Polish family who lived next door to us. They were so kind, always giving the children candy, and we went visiting there sometimes. The parents did not speak any English, only the two adult children did, and dh and I congratulated ourselves the day we figured out that we could go on Babel Fish and translate a thank-you note into Polish for them. I'm sure it wasn't very good Polish, but they were gracious and kind. They have moved and we miss them.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home