Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Na urlopie (On vacation)

One of the Polish men who attends our little church owns a działka, which is a small plot of land in the country. Such plots are used both as gardens for city-dwellers who have no yards, and also as vacation spots. Being there reminds me of "camping" with my grandparents in a trailer, where we had a little "lot" of our own, but were surrounded by many other campers on their lots. The działka (JOW-kah) is part of a large group of little plots--about 500 of them! There is a little cabin, just one room plus a sort of add-on with a tiny kitchen and bathroom.

This man kindly invited us to go out and spend as much time there as we liked, so after our kitchen project was completed, we packed up and went for a few days. I didn't do much--just sat with my feet in a baby pool (it was very hot) and read books, played with the kids, and did the minimum of shopping necessary for survival.


Krakovian and the older kids, J/E/K, made a few excursions. They went hiking in the woods and hills.








And visited a partially-ruined castle nearby. They climbed this tower...



For the sake of this spectacular view.
















It was very hot, as I've already said, so the kids enjoyed as much water play as they could manage.











And we were all happy that it actually cooled down enough in the evenings so that we could enjoy a campfire. The kids all take marshmallow-roasting very seriously, even though the only marshmallows we are able to get are sort of small and strawberry-flavored.








It was a peacful, relaxing time, and we only returned before the week was finished because I had my Ladies' Tea to prepare for. So we may just have to go back!

2 Comments:

At 2:57 PM , Blogger Mama Squirrel said...

Oh, I love the pictures of the kids! When I was growing up, we used to "camp" in a trailer park too. My aunt and uncle had a second small trailer on the same site, and my grandparents had a trailer across the "road"--it was like living in a little village.

 
At 4:07 PM , Blogger Kiernan said...

How delightful! I love the pictures - you should definitely spend some more time there:-)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home