Saturday, November 17, 2007

Bruges Lace

I've mentioned my crocheting hobby here before, and I have to admit, that my preference runs to thread crochet, mostly--although "doilies" conjures up mental pictures of Victorian laces and frothy excess, and my taste actually runs to unusual, contemporary projects. If I am flipping through a book of patterns, it will be the one that looks unusual and different that arrests my attention, which is what happened with this project. One of the interesting things about crocheting is that it can imitate other lace forms, and this pattern is in the style of Bruges lace.

This is what it looked like when I finished the first step. I wasn't particularly impressed at this point, either.

IMG_0387

I was beginning neither at the beginning nor at the end, but in the middle. The next "tape" was a circle inside the star, with fill-ins for each point.

IMG_0416

I continued working my way toward the middle.

IMG_0420

The last step here was just filling in the little hole, and it looks, at this point, like it could be a finished object. But, it is less than half done.

IMG_0422

The final "tape" is a line that runs back and forth, in and out, around the corners, until the original star is almost lost in the design. Sorry about the washed-out color on this one--the other pictures are closer to the spring-green color of the thread I used.

IMG_0541

Just in case you were wondering...this is not a project that can be worked on while you watch television.

Tomorrow--really tomorrow, I think--back to the books!

4 Comments:

At 6:57 PM , Blogger Amit said...

this is awesome .. my wife will love your blog

 
At 7:28 PM , Blogger The Shrone said...

That is amazing to see how it got worked up. It makes a lot of sense. Very beautiful work! It's inspiring and awesome!

 
At 4:12 AM , Blogger Donna-Jean Breckenridge said...

Wow - that is just beautiful! I still treasure the piece you made for me. You are very talented :-) and I'm SO glad you're posting again!

 
At 5:29 AM , Blogger Amy Witt said...

Beautiful. SO lovely.

JUst wondering...do you all celebrate Thanksgiving in Poland? I know the Poles don't but does your family?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home