Monday, March 17, 2008

A year of experiments

Last I year, I crocheted several doilies using sewing thread instead of crochet thread. Among various considerations, I remarked that it was expensive to crochet that way. However, the variety of colors available in sewing thread vastly exceeds the variety available in crochet thread, so I conceived the idea of holding one strand of sewing thread together with a strand of regular crochet thread (although I came up with the idea on my own, I was not the first person who has ever done this). Using some of the thread left over from an earlier project, I made this.

Frosted Doily

This is the only detail I'm going to show, but I was very pleased with the "frosted" effect, as well as with how much color the sewing thread added. It seems like such a thin bit of nothing, but it shows up well.

Frosted Doily, Detail

I devised a series of experiments involving different combinations of crochet thread and colored thread, and only recently did I complete the last of them. (If you can think of anything I missed, feel free to let me know, and I'll try that, too.) My next project was a single-color doily, using ecru thread (also used in the first doily)and light blue sewing thread. In real life, this doily has a denim effect.

Long \"frosted\" doily in blue

This doily is made with white crochet thread, but uses different shades of sewing thread throughout, and there are no plain white sections.

IMG_1228

This project involves using sewing thread on only part of the doily, as an accent, leaving part of it made with plain white crochet thread.

Hexagon in color

Departing from standard white and ecru crochet thread, I tried a "tone on tone" effect, using darker pink sewing thread on part of a doily made with pale pink croceht thread.

Tone on tone

I also used a brighter color of crochet thread with several shades of sewing thread to create very subtle color accents.

IMG_1831

And finally, I tried something more dramatic, using black crochet thread and adding a strand of scarlet sewing thread to accent certain parts of the design.

IMG_1811

And with that project, I think I can say that my experiments are finished. I've used the technique in other projects, and I will continue to do so. I love having the variety of colors available in sewing thread, and I feel like an artist, painting with thread, when I plan and create my colorful doilies.

And while I'm on the subject, I'm still looking for two more people to join my "pay it forward" project. Go ahead, and give me an excuse to make something pretty!

11 Comments:

At 2:52 PM , Blogger Heather said...

What absolutely gorgeous doilies! I like every single one of them - they are beautiful...fantastic work!!!

 
At 3:27 PM , Blogger Phyllis said...

Beautiful! You make me want to learn how to do that. I haven't usually had a good enough connection to see when you post photos. Now I can, and I'm really enjoying the beauty of these.

 
At 6:23 PM , Blogger Debbi-a1 said...

Beautiful doilies! I love the idea of using one strand of thread to add a color.

 
At 5:18 PM , Blogger Eva said...

Do you make up your own doily patterns?

 
At 6:32 PM , Blogger Karen G. said...

That would be nice, but no, I'm entirely incapable of that. I can't design them. But I have a marvelous "library" of crochet patterns from magazines I purchase here in Poland. I wouldn't be able to make them all if I tried.

 
At 12:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL!!! each one of them is a masterpiece and you have inspired me to try my hand at combining different threads

 
At 10:06 PM , Blogger Ally said...

Your Doilies are beautiful!

 
At 4:56 AM , Blogger Melwyk said...

These are all gorgeous! What a wonderful idea; such variety available to you with this technique. I love the frosted effect.

 
At 4:34 PM , Blogger Katie said...

You do such beautiful work! Thanks for posting pictures of the doilies so we can admire them.

 
At 6:58 AM , Blogger Jeanne said...

I love your patterns. I am very picky about patterns. I was going to ask where you find them, but now I see you've already answered that question. I wonder if there is any way these would be available to someone in the states? Hmm.

At any rate, you do beautiful work!

 
At 12:26 AM , Blogger SSKcraftshop said...

This is such a wonderful gesture....i already made for my friends for christmas this year who had inspired me with my work...Ur work is beautiful...keep it up and all the best with PIF....Seema

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home