Sunday, July 30, 2006

Really!

I hate to admit this, but I really overuse the word "really." And I do mean that I really, really use it more often than I should when I'm writing. I don't really mean to, but if it were possible to do word counts, I suspect "really" would make the top ten words in my writing, along with words such as "the" and "and." Really. What can I do about this?

I hereby resolve to strike this word from my written vocabulary.

It's a meaningless word to use in writing--just a filler word, trying to add a little emphasis without doing the work of writing better in the first place so as not to need to fall back on drivel like this. I'm going to stop using it. I am. (And I almost said, "I really am!") It's bad. Really bad.

Stop. I must stop. This word has got to go.

I really don't know what to do about this! (Argh, there I go again.) I mean, I am having difficulty not interjecting this word into every other sentence that I write. Maybe some computer geek could write me a program that would automatically delete the word as I type it? That would be really cool! Oh no...it happened again!

I am beginning to think that the only way to avoid using this word in my writing is to stop writing. But I don't think I can do that. So, I will break myself of this bad habit right now. No more.

And I really mean it this time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home