Saturday, September 09, 2006

Since I showed you my crocheting...

You know how sometimes when you have a lot to do, the easiest thing to do is...find something entirely different to do? Okay, I'm probably not making sense. Yesterday I posted my crocheted bookmarks, but I've been doing a little tatting for the same cause. These are my invitations to our next Ladies' Tea, and I trimmed the front of them with very easy little tatted flowers.

But all that tatting...the feel of the shuttle in my hand...gave me the urge to work on something else, so I've intermittently been working on this little motif. It's a small portion of a MUCH larger pattern by Jan Stawasz, the well-known (in some circles) Polish tatter. I was going to make another round of this, but I made a serious error in the pattern (six rings where there should have been seven) all the way around. So, it looks okay by itself, but I can't build on it. I may try again later. Much later! I don't really like re-tatting the same patterns any more than I do crocheting, but I'm such a beginning tatter, I should make myself do it.

If you want to see what really gorgeous tatting looks like, these folks have been instrumental in re-awakening my desire to tat.

I think this is what is called "minimalist blogging." I make a post, but there's not much to it. I'm trying to keep up the habit of a daily post, but it's anyone's guess when I'll be able to post anything substantial!

3 Comments:

At 3:31 AM , Blogger Katie said...

Wow, tatting!

I have always wanted to learn to tat, but I'm left handed and that seems to present a problem.

My mother trimmed my bridal veil with tatting that had been made by my great grandmother before she died. I hope my girls want to wear it for their weddings someday.

I'm glad to know what blogging without much effort is called. I've lately been going several days without a post, so maybe I will engage in some minimalist blogging too!

 
At 12:01 AM , Blogger Mama Squirrel said...

That's okay, short is good. I'm engaging in minimalist blog-reading (because I don't have much time this week to "visit around").

 
At 2:42 PM , Blogger Katie said...

Thanks, Sheridan! I would be interested in exploring it a little further. Not that I have time for it, but I guess it is something I could carry around and work on in odd moments as I wait for kids to be done with lessons and such. And who knows, I might be able to make something heirloom quality some day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home